About Me

My photo
was sold to gypsies as a small child for half a tank of gas and a kitten. She was quickly, if not easily, retrieved by her mother after the kitten was revealed to be an Eldrich horror looking for a ride into the nearest metropolitan area to begin wreaking havoc. It's been a bone of contention between Maria and her family ever since, whether the Horror-kitten would've been more or less trouble than she grew up to be.

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Book Review: The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place

Feel the cuteness!

Another BEA 2010 book (Someday, I will get through them all. Drat you college, cutting into my recreational reading time)!

*Blogger Bragging Alert* I had the pleasure of meeting Maryrose Wood twice! once at the Teen Author Carnival and again at BEA, and let me tell you, she is as adorable as this cover. But let's face it, you're here for the book, not the author. Onwards!

Miss Penelope Lumley has just graduated - a year early - from the Swanburne Academy for Poor Bright Females and is on her way to an interview for her first job; the lord and lady of Ashton Place need a governess. Upon her arrival, Penelope is rushed through a very strange interview, which is periodically interrupted by mysterious howling which provokes very strange reactions from Lady Ashton and the servants. When Penelope is finally presented with her new charges, she realizes that nothing at Swanburne has prepared her for the job she must now undertake.

The Good: This is an utterly charming, witty, hilarious, and downright cute book. It's age appropriate in all the very best ways. Maryrose Wood gives us relatable characters and a compelling mystery, entertaining readers without ever condescending. Fans of Lemony Snicket will find a fast friend in the Incorrigible Children.

The Bad: It's part of another series. Oh, my poor wallet! *sobs* Also, I don't know nearly enough young readers to recommend the Incorrigible Children to. Go forth and spread the word, internet! Away with ye!

The Rest: Wood writes in what I've dubbed The Nanny Voice, an aloof yet warm tone, interspersed with cutting asides and brief lessons in grammar, history, and more. Reading it, I felt like it was written by a lovely old governess whose too fond of me to be as strict or terrifying as her job might demand.

Final Thoughts: If anyone had handed me this book when I was between the ages of 8 and 13, I would never have shut up about it. Ever. Do the world a favor; give some child you know the chance to talk your ear off about a book instead of Justin Beiber. The book doesn't have that silly haircut.

My Rating: 5/5 Mushrooms all the way.

3 comments:

Cassandra said...

I read Maryrose Wood's Poison Diaries which was QUITE GOOD. It's more of a middle grade, but such a good story.

Maria D'Isidoro said...

I have Poison Diaries too. I started reading it a few months ago, but life and school work got in the way. I've been meaning to pick it up again when I get a spare weekend.

Cassandra said...

It's a quick read but with slower pacing than I generally take to. Wood does well keeping the reader engaged without amping up the action.