About Me

My photo
was sold to gypsies as a small child for half a tank of gas and a kitten. She was quickly, if not easily, retrieved by her mother after the kitten was revealed to be an Eldrich horror looking for a ride into the nearest metropolitan area to begin wreaking havoc. It's been a bone of contention between Maria and her family ever since, whether the Horror-kitten would've been more or less trouble than she grew up to be.

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Teen Author Carnival 2011: Round 1

Last month, I attended the 3rd annual Teen Author Carnival. Needless to say, it was pretty cool; I came home with all this swag!



Note the ketchup stains. Further evidence that I can't have nice things.
TAC - as it's referred to online -is run by Devyn Burton, Korianne Wey, and Mitali Dave, as part of my internet alma mater, the Five Awesome YA Fans. I attended last years' event as well and completely dropped the ball as to blogging about it. Never again, I say!

I went with other, better bloggers Cassandra Yorgey and Emma Volee, and other FAYAF friends Genevieve Thursday and Michael. Much fun was had as Cassandra got us lost, Emma got us back on track, Genevieve packed swag bags forever, and Michael was forcibly dragged to panels by Cassandra and I. Authors were entertaining and friendly, seating was scare, and I wore a silly hat, asked questions, and garnered much questionable attention (I wear a fez, now. Fezes are cool.). I also may have developed an unhealthy love of the word 'appendage' thanks to Carrie Jones.


Over the rest of the summer, while I take a well deserved break from school to focus on Nevermore, I'm going to resume reviewing things, many of which will be books from TAC. However, since I'm still a busy girl with a lackadaisical work ethic, I'm not going to be able to get through many of these. In order to keep the blog busy(ish), some of these reviews are going to be...unorthodox. So keep an eye out and expect silliness.


For now, though, here's:

A Quick Overview

The Authors
  1. Carol Estby Dagg - The Year We Were Famous
  2. Nova Ren Suma - Imaginary Girls
  3. Carrie Jones - Need, After Obsession, Dear Bully
  4. Scott Tracey - Witch Eyes
  5. David Levithan - Every You, Every Me
  6. Melissa Walker - Small Town Sinners
  7. Michelle Hodkin - The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer
  8. Elizabeth Scott - Between Here and Forever & As I Wake
  9. Michelle Zink - Circle of Fire
  10. Michael Northrop - Trapped
  11. Leah Clifford - A Touch Mortal
  12. Nick James - Skyship Academy
  13. Amy Fellner Dominy -OyMG
  14. Kirsten Hubbard - Like Mandarin
  15. Malinda Lo - Huntress, Ash
  16. Bettina Restrepo - Illegal
  17. Caridad Ferrer - When the Stars Go Blue
  18. Kody Keplinger - Shut Out
  19. Torrey Maldonado - Secret Saturdays
  20. Hannah Moskowitz - Invincible Summer, Zombie Tag
  21. E Archer - Geek Fantasy Novel
  22. Gayle Forman - Where She Went
  23. Courtney Allison Moulton - Angelfire
  24. Susane Colasanti - So Much Closer, Something Like Fate
  25. Andrea Cremer - Wolfsbane, Nightshade 

This year, there were four panels instead of the rotating three from last year. I think I prefer the rotating schedule, that way attendees can see all the panels instead of having to choose. Having to choose, I went to Otherworldly Adventures and Getting It Right. I'm happy with my choices, I must confess.


Kick Ass Females in YA: And Why It's A Big Deal To Have Them
Moderator: Lisa Desrochers
1.      Malinda Lo
2.      Andrea Cremer
3.      Michelle Zink
4.      Courtney Allison Moulton
5.      Carole Estby Dagg
6.      Elizabeth Scott  
7.      Michelle Hodkin 
8.  Kirsten Hubbard

Otherworldly Adventures: With a Bit of the Real World Thrown In
Moderators: Chelsea Swiggett & Karsten Knight
1.      E. Archer
2.      Carrie Jones
3.      Nova Ren Suma
4.      Michael Northrop
5.      Scott Tracey
6.      Leah Clifford

Teenage Angst: Getting It Right - The Emotions, The Voice, The Drama
Moderator: Ellen Hopkins
1.      David Levithan
2.      Susane Colasanti
3.      Melissa Walker
4.      Kody Keplinger
5.      Hannah Moskowitz
6.      Gayle Forman
7.      Torrey Maldonado
8.      Caridad Ferrer

Debut Author Showcase: The Journey to Publication
Moderator: Lenore Applehans
1.      Carole Estby Dagg
2.      Amy Fellner Dominy
3.      Kirsten Hubbard
4.      Bettina Restrepo
5.      Michelle Hodkins
 6.      Nick James 
7. Scott Tracey
 

No comments: